My Life, My Universe, My Everything

Seeking answers to the big questions in my life through creativity...

Organic Dark Chocolate... mmm...

Tuesday 17th April 2012

I have had problems with chocolate cravings for as long as I can remember.  I am the type of person who opens a bar of milk chocolate and cannot eat one piece of the bar...  I have to finish the whole bar... no matter the size.

I have never particularly liked the flavour of dark chocolate, but decided that to combat the chocolate craving, I needed to retrain my tastebuds so that I can learn to enjoy one square of quality chocolate rather than having to give up chocolate altogether, which is something I have had problems doing.


Luckily, my husband likes dark chocolate, so I have nibbled a square of several different bars - Lindt, Tesco Finest, Sainsbury, Thorntons, Cadbury Bourneville, etc...  I finally nibbled a square of Green & Black's Organic Fairtrade 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate and thought...  mmmm...  not bad at all...  And 3 weeks later I still haven't finished my first bar of chocolate.  So this definitely seems to be working for me.

Part of my reason for trying to make this change is that milk chocolate is just bad for me and much too addictive.

I read that dark chocolate can have health benefits for me.  Acting as an antioxidant and an anti-inflammatory, and helping to reduce blood pressure and improve insulin sensitivity in healthy people, reducing their risk of diabetes.  I however, already have diabetes, but dark chocolate can also help those with diabetes to control their blood sugar, and may even benefit mental health.    Of course, as I am a diabetic, dark chocolate will only be good for me if taken in moderation.

It does smell rich and luxurious and I find that one little square satiates my chocolate craving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what other people are thinking. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.